Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"Our Final Words" by Tigerman
Date :1/23
Our Final Words

I hate you.
The last words I will ever tell a dear friend.
I...HATE...you.

Though it's not ideal and I imagine the shock it may bring, it was not meant to cut. It was meant jokingly with a teeny tiny bit of passive aggressiveness but you be the judge. Let me tell you the origin of this story.

The time was yesteryear and the climate was a bit more uplifting then now. We, six brave explorers entered the inner caverns of the Lost Mines. It was here we fought for hours as we prayed the cavernous regions above us did not crumble with all the debris the "new found" miners were leaving upon the ground. You could barely take a step before submerging into a pit of clay and mud and sometimes fine gems. But I digress, the leech blood was thick and our bounty was, well...bountiful?

We had slayed many a shiny, slithery, peanut-buttery Leech Guardian. We had received five major items from them. We each got to voice our opinion as to how the bounty should be split. I stated that I would like to sell the items and split the funds. And this idea actually took the majority of the vote. But this was not a balanced vote. There were four men and two women. The two women voted for leaving our fate up to chance and rolling the dice to see who gets what. The four men voted to split after selling. So naturally... we rolled. Why? Well you can easily fill in the blanks there.

So the items we had to split ranged from: a drapery that was kissed by the moon that looked blue-gray, to a Zibong blade and up to a Sun armor dress. We decided to randomly choose numbers to denote what item you got. Then we would roll to see the order in which we would roll. And then... we would just roll. Anyone with one eye could see there was one major prize here and a bunch of door prizes. So we drew for the items. The Sun armor dress was in slot number two. The beautiful friend of which I penned this letter for, drew the first roll. And on the first roll she rolled a two. My heart sank, my pockets made a sound similar to the one I hear when I go days without food. It was a sad day. I could pretend I was happy for her but I wasn't she had enough coins! Like I said..."teeny tiny bit of passive aggressiveness."    

I think I received the Moon drapery but I didn't care it was all a blur at that point. At least I had gotten something, right? Nope, not my style! So this led me to change my greeting to this person. Everytime I would see my friend around the Kingdom I would say "...I hate you." Over the years the passive aggression dulled and though I thought many times about changing my salutations, I figured this is what we do in this Kingdom. We often do things or say things with a style that keeps us remembered. We use a certain slang on a familiar calling to stand out. I can remember another dear friend who would always greet me in the morning by inviting me have a certain beverage with him. And he knew I hated this beverage and preferred tea over it. But it becomes a running joke. And the joke only looms larger when one's voice is not here to speak it.

Despite knowing this I still enjoy the fact that I shared this personal joke with her but sometimes I wish it hadn't been the absolute "last thing" I said to her. I wish I had said something profound or foreshadowing like "if this is the last time I ever see you, know I love you." Yes, that would have been amazing. But alas I won't get that shot. You are gone now, no doubt to much better and lush pastures where the sheep fields never get invaded by volcanic blasting mages or polearm invisible rogues. So until we meet again my friend know that I love you, I miss you and I STILL hate you.

-Tigerman
FeROARcious Do